Friday, June 17, 2011

Energy

Mom seems happy to be back at home. But I'm again struck with how frail and tired she seems. I know she is recovering from a hard travel day. And I know the sweltering heat and jumbled house take their toll as well. It is just such a contrast between energy level in Idaho and energy level at home.

As I was mulling this over yesterday, I realized that in Idaho, Mom let Loren and Carrie serve her. She even commented, "They bring me my food!" Of course, here at home, Mom will not allow us to serve her. She insists on doing her own cooking/cleaning/watering and gets agitated with offers of help.

I'm wondering if that explains some of the difference in energy level. While away, Mom was pretty much waited on. She had energy to spare. While here at home, she expends all her energy on the activities of daily living.

I'm not calling it right or wrong, just observing and pondering.

7 comments:

  1. I just know my energy level goes up, when I'm Colorado, b/c of the weather. It's like the air here is so thick, it has us walking thru it in slow motion. At least, that's the case with Wayne and me in our health problems. No extra energy.
    It seems she knows her place as a guest there and then slips back into her role as domestic engineer. (who has a gillion things to get done) Up there, no responsibilities. Hope this helps just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Libby. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Barb, I'm sorry you removed your comment! I think you nailed it. I appreciate your thoughts. Mom is the queen of her castle and that is as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, when you didn't post for so long I was afraid I might have hurt your feelings!! Now I see you were just busy, but I couldn't stand to think I might have added to all you are already trying to process!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too kind. And you are too true of a friend for me to ever blow off like that. Please don't stop telling me the truth! If you hurt my feelers, I will let you know! And I will know that any hurt from you is the faithful wound of a sincere friend.

    ReplyDelete