Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Routine

[Guest blog from my sister Gayle]

Listen for the bell, for whispered requests. Hot coffee. Crushed ice. Water.

Raise hospital bed up. Changing, reaching, lowering the bed. Empty trash, bedpan. Wash hands.

Every two hours apply anti-nausea cream.

Egg over easy and toast. Fork and napkin.

Cassandra comes for the shower. (Sit and don't listen for requests while she is taking care of mom).

Gentle, gentle, soft touches everywhere, except brush hair with force and vigor!

Wheel the chair to picture window. Arrange bell and water. Cover legs with blanket. Feed the kitty so mom can see if she chooses to look up.

Tiny sips of warm broth with spoon, crush meds in food whenever possible!

Go through mail and request to be taken off of mailing lists.

Time for another change. Laundry. Fend off obsession of the day. Redirect conversation.

Fill oxygen water container with distilled water.

A few bites of "Killer Bee" frozen yogurt (Chiller Bee). Time for nap.

Repeat.

1 comment:

  1. Every woman should have daughters like your mom has. I hope I do. I THINK I do. I hope I AM. We'll see, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete