Saturday, June 30, 2012

Caged

Mama has her eyes open this morning, but shows no signs of seeing or hearing us. Her breathing comes in heaves, stops for twenty seconds or so, then heaves again. Gayle and I managed a diaper change earlier and tried to prop Mom in a comfortable position. Is there a comfortable position at this point? Mom won't take ice or even open her mouth for a swab. Her lips are pressed in a thin line and her chin quivers. I'm sorry to say she does not seem peaceful or restful. So like Mama to struggle to the end.

Afternoon Update: Mom opened her lips enough to give her more meds and that seems to have helped. She is resting easier now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh,Gwen. This is so similar to my daddy's passing. He had colon cancer. Once he got to this point, it was over soon. He was not peaceful or restful, either. He fought past his last breath. It was so hard to watch. It will be 13 years next month and I can still feel myself in that room. I am praying for you all today, right now.

    ReplyDelete