Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ornery

Wednesday, Dave took Mom out for lunch. They met at their favorite place, Pie in the Sky. Dave said after greeting and getting settled, Mom's first words were:

"Well, I think I'm winding down. I sleep more. I think slow. I have to re-read things several times. I move slow.

But don't take my car away!"


You have to love her spirit!

I called Mom later in the day to ask about her blood pressure. She had taken a reading that was better. And she had taken one that was evidently not so good. Mom was very vague and moved on to another topic. I probed.

Gwen: So what were the numbers?

Mom: Oh, I didn't even write it down. You know, Nurse Christy said not to take my blood pressure after physical exertion and I had just wheeled the trash can to the curb. I didn't like it so I didn't write it down.

Gwen: You know, you could write it down and then make a note about what you had been doing.

Mom: Yes, I could. Let's talk about something else.

This morning at Ladies' Bible Study, Mom had a little post it note with her numbers from today. She was very pleased that they were back to 130s/80s. She seemed much perkier too. Maybe the slowdown was just a blip. Or maybe Mom will be up and down from day to day like Dad was. Only God knows, and He's not telling.

Speaking of not telling, Mom told me Wednesday that she took some of the medicine intended to treat diarrhea. The medicine she wouldn't take when she had six days in a row of constant symptoms. What?

Gwen: Why did you take the medicine?

Mom: I was tired of having the trots.

Gwen: I thought you weren't having diarrhea anymore.

Mom: Not after I took that medicine!

What? So either she was still having diarrhea, but fibbed about it to Nurse Christy and to me, or she is confused about taking her medicine. Which would bring up a whole nother issue.

1 comment:

  1. From what my doctor friend told me, when thinking/moving slow down, that is a sign of the cancer's progression to the liver. This Doctor has told me in the past to have your heart to heart conversations before this happens, because things will get fuzzy when the liver is not functioning to capacity. Sounds like mom is entering that stage...

    ReplyDelete