Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Monitor Madness

Tonight as Karis and I were taking a college tour, Bill texted to let me know Mom was having trouble with her blood pressure monitor. She hasn't used it in a long time, probably months, but the Nurse Christy asked her to take readings tonight and for the next couple of days since it was so high today. Karis and I stopped by, thinking maybe there was a simple solution. Mom had already replaced the batteries. I tried on Mom. I tried on me. It just wasn't working.

Mom said she would take it up to Walmart. Karis suggested CVS, since the machine said CVS on it. (That's my girl.) Karis and I took it to CVS. They proudly told us of their CVS policy; since it was a CVS brand product, they would replace it. But...they were out of that model. And most any other model for that matter. They could order it, but it wouldn't be in until next week. Which doesn't really help my mother with high blood pressure tonight, now does it? On we go to the next CVS. Nada. They call yet another CVS for us. No. So after some deliberation and some advice from my big brother, we bought a blood pressure monitor and headed back to Mom's.

Mom, of course, was appalled that we had purchased a new machine. And her blood pressure was down nicely, 127/77. So Karis and I drove through for Blizzards and went home. All's well that ends well.

2 comments:

  1. Snow on the ground, again this morning. When I read that you drove through a blizzard, I was thinking of the white stuff--oh, yeah, you're in TX and they have fast food drive-throughs...

    Glad you got the monitor. Coming to TX, probably arrive Monday evening, April 11. When I planned my annual piano recital, I scheduled it in April because I was thinking of mom's diagnosis time frame, and thought the battle would be finished. Just let me know when the time comes to drop everything and come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gayle and Gwen! This is another streaching and emotional time in our lives. Mom did so well for so many months I started to think maybe it would continue.

    ReplyDelete