Sunday, March 6, 2011

Outed?

I may have been outed on Thursday. Our ladies' bible study leader reads my blog. She liked the Nichole Nordeman song lyrics so much that she printed them out. And made copies. And handed them out Thursday morning, mentioning that I had posted this on my blog.

Did I mention Mom also attends ladies' bible study? Yikes! Have my days of free therapy come to an end?

Two things I have working in my favor:

1) Mom's hearing is getting worse and worse. She misses a lot. A lot. In fact, at the end of the study, one of the ladies youtubed the song on her phone so we could all listen. Mom just got up and left because she couldn't hear it. (Typical Mom. Never mind social guidelines and niceties; she was done, so she left.)

2) Mom seemed pretty disconnected Thursday morning. I think her mind was somewhere else. Maybe the purple room? She just wasn't engaged.

After Mom's abrupt exit, I did mention to the ladies that Mom doesn't know about my blog. My leader was mortified with herself, but I told her I didn't think Mom noticed. Maybe we all need to practice our evasive techniques, just in case Mom asks any questions. Maybe something like:

"Hmm? What's that? Yes, I know Gwen has a dog. Nate saved up and got one from the shelter. Say, did you notice that beautiful redbud on the way here? What did you think about Rush today? Did you catch Dan Patrick? Wasn't Hannity a hoot last night?"

I'm not asking anyone to lie. Just evade, distract and divert. It never hurts to be prepared.

5 comments:

  1. lol (laughing out loud) Cathy says, mom wouldnt know what a blog is! and on any given day, she would be pleased to read it anyway. kind of like Aunt Helen's writings, but different of course. as you mention, mom is not so much into the social guidelines of the day. Cathy and I have both talked with mom since Thursday and no evasive techniques were needed. She probably wondered what your dog had to do with the song...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL Gwen! Mark and I think the dog blog evasive technique will solve any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always ask them to pass the bean dip!! LOL!! Love you...love your sense of humour in the midst of it all!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb! I thought of bean dip as I wrote! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never know...once upon a time, my kids realized that saying, "...oh look mom, a deer! (bunny, pretty horse, lovely cloud, antique store, camaro, etc. ) would cut short whatever rant/tirade/lecture they were enduring. Do I know they are distracting me? Sure. Sometimes life is just better when we all play along. As an outsider who believes your mother is the original wonder woman, I think there is a good chance she has her own blog. Or will at some point.

    ReplyDelete