Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How's Your Mama Doing?

I get that question a lot. Which is nice! Mom has sort of a cult following, drawing admirers and holding court wherever she goes without even trying. So here's the consummate answer to how Mom is doing:

Today she drove herself in the Crown Vic down to the DPS and renewed her driver's license.

It had expired on her 90th birthday, you know, and they only renew online up to the age of 75, so she had to go in.

Don't ask me how she parked in that packed lot. Don't ask me how she navigated through the throngs of impatient, ill-prepared people, many of whom don't speak English as their native language. Don't ask me how she found the line to sign in, then found a place to wait for her group to be called, then found the line to wait her turn for the vision test. Don't ask me how she passed the vision test.

I just don't know.

Must have been that Mama Mojo.

4 comments:

  1. too much fun. God is gracious and mom is blessed and so are we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talked with her last night. She sounded so proud that she had gotten her license renewed. I said, just don't go on any road trips without letting someone know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gwen...Loren & I are 'lurkers' on your blog but I read this entry and thought about your mom visiting us in HB years ago...she went out for a walk on the beach and managed to befriend the pier surfers, a hard-core bunch of locals not exactly known for rolling out the welcome mat. She charmed them and came back to our apt. with their life stories and up-to-date info on the break! What a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I love that story! There is just something about her, disarming and charming, but not artful at all, just natural magnetism, I guess.

    ReplyDelete