Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Surprise

I called Mom Monday night to check in with her, let her know I was alive, etc. She expresssed concern about our Thanksgiving plans, because she had just realized that Thanksgiving was on Thursday, not Friday. What a surprise! I'm pretty sure my mom is not one of those people who doesn't know that Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday. I think it just shows how muddled her thinking is getting.

Tuesday, Ev, Meg and I did all our shopping for Tday. Karis had alerted me that Grandma needed to go to the grocery, but when I called, she was not up to the trip. We picked up a few things for her at HEB and took them by. When we arrived, after 6:00 p.m., Mom hadn't had dinner yet. She was waiting for us to bring her zucchini and yellow squash from the store and that was her dinner. I guess she did really need to grocery shop! Mom told Christy earlier in the day (we happened to drive by right as C pulled into the driveway, so we did a quick u-ee and dropped in) that the only meat she is hungry for anymore is bacon. Christy told her she could eat bacon three times a day if she wanted. Love her.

Mom also told Christy she has energy to cook her own food and wash her own laundry, but that is about it. And shower some mornings. She still does not want help. I told Christy how happy we were that Mom invited us for Thanksgiving, after talking it over with Christy. (Sorry to use her name twice in a sentence, but I didn't know any other way to make it clear.) Christy agreed that it was great Mom would have us over. Mom replied, "Well, who wouldn't?" Um, you?

Anyhoo, Nate, Ev and I are going over to Mom's today, Wednesday, to do some Tday prep. Ev will set the table with china, silver and crystal, Nate will sweep the walk and maybe blow the drive, and whatever else Mom wants. The rest of my time will be spent in the kitchen, like the rest of America. And I'm thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your mom and that it's full of sweet surprises!!! Love you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete