Monday, November 21, 2011

All in the Interpretation

So, I'm sick again with some bug or crud or something. There's plenty going around and plenty of sick people who don't stay home when they're sick, so there is plenty to choose from. I'm actually kind of relieved I'm sick, because Saturday I was so lethargic and glum, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Now I know, I was getting sick.

Unfortunately, I was sick on Sunday, so Mom noticed my absence. It worries her when I'm sick. This time, she has worked out a plan of action. I think all of my children told me at separate times, "Grandma says we need to get rid of the animals and then fumigate the house. She says the animals are making you sick." Some of the children made futile attempts to refute Mom's theory, but it's hard to reason when her mind is made up.

And so, I told the children I am just going to interpret Grandma's declaration to really mean, "I'm so sorry your mom is sick. I care about her and I hope she feels better soon." I'm sure that's what she meant to say, right?

5 comments:

  1. when we argue she says "youre just like the others!! ALL IN DENIAL!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mother did exhibit great concern over your sickness. I believe this shows she sincerely cares about you, and loves you deeply! She also mentioned the "keep the animals outside" theory to help your allergies. But all encompassing message was, "I can't be happy when my darling little girl is not feeling well, and I want to do everything I can to help her feel better."

    ReplyDelete
  3. But seriously, could she be on to something? OR is this coming from the ole school notion of "animals don't belong in the house"? Sorry you're feeling poorly again. Hope it doesn't interfere with your Thanksgiving. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to understand and translate our parents' words can be so soul affirming. Your mom cares and she wants to "fix" you. The animals are just collateral damage! Refuse to allow your heart to be as well!
    Curl up with some hot tea, a good book and allow your body some time to heal. May I suggest page 27.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your heart friend. You encourage me and also make me laugh (sometimes even at the same time). I think you are absolutely right in what she was saying. She loves you so very much and is concerned and wants to make things right. (((Gwen)))

    Love you
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete