Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why Mom Doesn't Call

While Mom was in the hospital, many friends visited. So many that instead of saying "Hello" when they walked in, Mom said "I swanee!" Two of her friends on separate visits had heart-to-heart talks with Mom about her refusing help and even contact with us. One old, dear friend even told her she should confess to me. So the next time I was alone with her, she did.

Mom: Gerrie said I should confess to you about not calling you.

Gwen: Okay.

Mom: You know why I don't call, don't you?

Gwen: No, tell me.

Mom: I'm afraid if I call, you might come.

Gwen: Well, of course I will come! You're my mom!

Mom: That's why I didn't call. I was afraid you would be the first person I would see in the emergency room. I'm even concerned about when I die, that it will be a good time for Dave's schedule.

Gwen: Mom! You die whenever it is time. Dave will work around it.

Oh my. This is wrong. So wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Gwen, great advice to mom! sorry, but this makes me laugh. It is so vintage mom. Thanks again for the blog. It is rich.

    ReplyDelete