Monday, February 15, 2010

Dad Solo

Dad on his own is not a good thing. When he called Dave Wednesday morning, Dad told Dave he was planning to go up to the hospital in a bit. (Dave picked him up.) Later that day, I asked Dad how he was planning to get to the hospital.

Dad: I was gonna walk. Heh, heh, heh. No, I was going to drive.

Gwen: I thought you weren't supposed to drive.

Dad: No, the only person who thinks that is Mom.

Gwen: Didn't the doctor tell you not to drive?

Dad: No.

Gwen: I remember Dr. Wright saying you shouldn't drive.

Dad: Oh, that was just temporary.

Gwen: For how long?

Dad: For a month or so.

Gwen: Did he tell you it was okay to drive again?

Dad: Hem, Haw

Gwen: I think you should talk to the doctor before you start driving again.

Dad: Humph.


I was also troubled (but not surprised, I guess, since I asked) to learn that Dad had not eaten any breakfast or taken his morning medicine. I spent the night with Dad both nights Mom was in the hospital (not counting the night we didn't know she was there, but that is a whole other post). After the first night, I wanted to be at the hospital early so as not to miss the doctor. I went before Dad got up and left him a note on the coffee pot to call me and take his medicine. He did both, but Mom was very concerned (asked twice) about him being home alone.

Dad really does not do well on his own. I think we (siblings and spouses) need to be united in the event Mom can no longer care for Dad. My thinking is that Dad could choose to live with one of us or live in a care facility or have a full-time paid caregiver. In my opinion, Dad living alone or with part-time care is just not an option.

2 comments:

  1. I love driving and being alone, it must run in the family. Glad you are there to "catch" the rascals in their rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same. Must be very difficult to surrender that one. Dave took all the extra sets of keys and Mom is keeping hers in her purse.

    ReplyDelete