Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wondering

As I thought about my extended phone conversation with Mom, I started wondering about her memory/cognition. Some of her glitches are easily dismissed, like forgetting what she wanted to say next. We all do that, don't we? And then in the course of the conversation, it would come back to her and she would say what she wanted to say. Not a concern.

But then when I asked her what they did to celebrate New Year's/Anniversary, she couldn't remember what she did that day. Which seemed odd to me, because those are memorable days, not like forgetting what you did last Tuesday. I realize Mom and Dad are low key and didn't paint the town red or anything, but it seems like a significant day one would remember.

And in talking about her stocking gifts, Mom was mystified as to when we had stuffed their stockings. Of course, I reminded her that Santa fills stockings. (Mom has a long-standing aversion to Santa Claus. I don't know why.) Then I admitted that we filled them when we popped by Christmas Eve. She didn't remember us being at her house Christmas Eve. I sat in the kitchen and visited with her that night, Dave was watching something on t.v. with the crew, and the children were playing with cousins. We gave Dad his birthday gift, some sweats which he wore the next day. Really, we are pretty hard to miss.

It just makes me wonder. And watch.

4 comments:

  1. Been thinking about you.
    Praying you will be renewed daily.

    I have to tell you that in spite of the title to your blog 'not going so gently',
    there is such a gentleness here when I visit.

    Your mom experiences keep me sensitive to mine.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ernestine. Weird that my relationship with my mom overshadows my dad's health issues, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the updates! not trying to solve, but as we get older the memory sometimes slips. Aunt Helen has some dementia, and it appears mom is having some also. It is sad, or helpful if there are things to forget.... Being with Viola caused me to be very thankful for memories, ability to think (such as it is). This blog is a great memory builder! hey, John and Katie are now engaged! and they are driving back to school in wy tomorrow. Thanks, Gwen for sharing memories with mom and dad and yourself and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to John and Katie! Exciting news. :)

    I know memory slips. I can only hope to be as sharp when I'm nearly 89! My concern is for Mom in her role as caregiver if memory becomes an issue.

    ReplyDelete