Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wings Like Eagles

Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, "God has lost track of me. He doesn't care what happens to me"? Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening?

God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.

For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind.

Isaiah 40:28-31, The Message

Really, I could leave this post with no other comment, because God's Word is just that powerful. It speaks for itself and needs no explanation from me.

I do think it is significant though that in Mom's last weeks here, she thought a lot about the eagle scene from The Return of the King. As she got closer to the end, she couldn't remember details like Tolkien's name or the name of the book/movie. I overheard her trying to tell an old friend who had stopped by with homegrown tomatoes and love. She couldn't come up with the words she wanted so Mom said, "You know, it's written by that mathematician and the story is a myth, but it goes along with the Bible." She explained to me that she was thinking of after Frodo and Samwise had disposed of the ring, and had run outside on Mt. Doom, and the mountain was erupting into rivers of lava, leaving the hobbits exhausted and stranded on an island of rock. Then the eagles came and carried them to safety, just like they had rescued Gandalf before.

Of course, Mom was dreaming of the end of her own hard journey, when she too would soar like eagles. And God is faithful and kept His promises to Mom. She did finally fly away. But this passage reminds me that God is faithful to me too. He doesn't lose track of me. He doesn't come and go. He lasts. He gives fresh strength. Thank God.

3 comments:

  1. Dear God, I Love that woman, what a person after my own heart....Tolkien (& Scripture) at the end.
    Ann Peycke is my hero! I want to go (maybe not as prolonged) like she did. (&Maybe you will be around to council/console my kids as they are dragged through that process)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Marty, here's the plan. Practice evacuation! Load up the car with everything you would take with you to save from a fire, and drive down here for Mom's services. Stay a few days so we can have time to talk. I'll even feed you gluten-free.

      Delete
    2. I keep fantasizing about seeing some super deal last minute flight & me just popping down. My heart will be with you all. It is blowing me away how much & constant Ann & Bill are popping into my mind & making me all teary----it's like I am having PMS & I'm way past that. Don't have a clue what my brain (or heart perhaps?)is doing to me.

      Delete