Thursday, July 5, 2012

How Are You Doing?

That's the question of the hour.

And the answer is: Okay.

I'm kind of in a fog. I keep thinking of things I forgot about. I'm still predominantly happy for my mom to be in heaven; it certainly outweighs any sadness at this point. I understand the sorrow will come and I'm waiting for the shoe to drop, but right now I'm not even weepy. I feel borne up by the prayers and love of others. Friends and family are feeding us, checking on us, helping us with all the family arrangements surrounding Mom's service. I find care and concern on all sides. I've been sleeping well except for last night.

(In an interesting side note, Dave has poison ivy, my stomach is giving me fits, Nate has a sore back, and Ev has a summer cold. Gah!)

And of course I'm busy. I'm trying to consolidate Mom's things into her room so family can look through when they come. The stupid shower remodel is happening and it revealed a lot of structural damage which means more work. I went with Karis to get her tattoo in honor of her beloved grandma. I found a dress for Wednesday. Dave and I met with the funeral home. Wrote an obituary. Looked at casket sprays. Went to the church's 4th of July celebration. Made a punch list for the lake house. Had lunch with Dave. Watched movies with the fam. Laundry, cleaning, shuffling.

Once again, I'm glad for the breathing space between death and burial. It is good to be with my family. It is good to hear what my mom meant to so many different people. I have time to gather my wits and make some plans. And family members have time to make arrangements in order to gather next week.

So really, I'm okay.

4 comments:

  1. I remember being in the supermarket & looking around thinking "don't these people know an atomic bomb has gone off?" THen realizing, "oh yeah, that was in my life & here I am shopping,

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Gwen))) Thinking of and praying for you friend as you walk this new path. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwen, it really was a blessing to do the service on July 11. This makes it possible for Caleb and Ruth to drive down with Emrys (and Paul). It also made it possible for me to sing with my chorus when we won first place in our internation competition in Portland. It also made it possible for Paul to be the best man in the wedding of his friend last weekend. Thanks to all the family for the flexibility.

    ReplyDelete