Sunday, May 13, 2012

To Pee or Not to Pee

Mom has been without a catheter since Monday. It is such a relief to her to be rid of that nasty old bag, not to mention experiencing pain-free, er "sting-"free, voiding. All systems seem to be working properly. The only hitch we've had so far is that Mom only seems to pee when she is lying down. Seriously. Never a wet diaper when sitting up, even if she is up for 4 hours at a stretch and drinking coffee and cranberry juice. Without fail, always a wet diaper after a nap, usually awakened by the urge to pee. This is fine of course, except it does mean regular overnight diaper changes, every 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours.

Mom hates ringing for me in the night, and I'm not so fond of the broken sleep pattern myself. She keeps coming up with schemes to solve this problem. First, she wanted a bedside toilet. Then she thought a bedpan might do the trick. Last night, she said she would put some pull-up-type diapers under her pillow. I giggled and asked why she would want them under her pillow. Mom replied, "Well, so I can change myself in the night." Ohhhkay.

Last night, Mom needed changing at 9:00, 11:00, and 12:30. I geared up for a night of little sleep. Imagine my surprise when the next thing I heard was my alarm at 7:00. Mom appeared to be still sleeping, but with her gown pulled up to her waist, which was odd. I started coffee, then heard the bell. I went in, thinking I would find a soaked Mama and a soaked bed. Instead, I found two wet, discarded diapers and Mom wearing a wet third. She had indeed managed to change herself in the night! That woman! Never have I met a more determined, self-willed, independent person. She is truly amazing.

Mom said, "That's your Mother's Day gift." And a very surprising and nice one it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment