Friday, May 11, 2012

Stuff a Third Grader Says

While my sister Gayle was here, I got to spend some time with one of my favorite third graders. He is not related to me, but we have been friends since he was in kindergarten. I care about him. He cares about me. So when I saw him last week, I showed him a picture of my mom in her hammock chair. We visited for a bit about life in third grade and life in general, then he asked:

FTG (Favorite Third Grader): Can your mom go places?

Ms. Gwen: Well, she *could* go places, but it makes her tired out just to move from her bed to her wheelchair. We could roll her wheelchair out to the car and she could get in the car, but then she would be all tired out. So she just stays home.

FTG: [thinking] So, do *you* go places?

Ms. Gwen: No, I mostly stay home with my mom.

We chatted about how it's not super fun, but that is my job right now. It's what families do; we take care of each other. Then he said,

FTG: [disgustedly] I don't know who created cancer in the first place.

Oh my. How do such big thoughts get into a third grade brain?

So I shared with my friend my thoughts about how cancer is Satan up to his favorite trick of taking something God has designed for good, and twisting it into something bad and hurtful. Normal cell division gone completely wrong, bringing destruction and death instead of its intended purpose of creation and life.

And then we talked about other things, which is one of the nice things about having a third grader for a friend. He offers me empathy, understanding, and insight in my sorrow, but he doesn't linger in the valley of the shadow for long. My friend has dragons to slay, victories to achieve, books to read, sunshine to enjoy, places to go, people to see. He knows the score, and is still eager to play.

It's a gift. He's a gift. And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment