Thursday, May 24, 2012

Back on Duty

My dear sil Cathy flew back to Kansas City yesterday. She tended to Mom so graciously, and managed to help me quite a bit too. Thank you, Cathy! While she was here, I worked on clearing and cleaning the lake house, drove kids around, voted, had breakfast with a friend, attended a work meeting and an end-of-year celebration, and went to church.

Now I'm back on duty. Mom is notably tired. She still eats a big breakfast, but then feels nauseous and only eats dribs and drabs throughout the day. Ex.: 1/4 cup of stir fried veggies for dinner last night after eating nothing since lunch. The Big Evil is bigger than I've ever seen. It has to be terribly uncomfortable, but Mom doesn't complain. She is still using a bedpan to pee and is very happy about it, but only pees while sleeping. This seems to interrupt her sleep, and I no longer feel comfortable going for a walk or showering while she's asleep in case she rings for her bedpan.

My sister Ruth is on the schedule to come the first full week of June, and Gayle is tentative about coming the end of June. I keep thinking, "Surely this won't go on that long," but I've been thinking that thought for about a year now. No way to call it, so we'll just keep going day to day. Good thing God's mercies are new every morning.

1 comment: