Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dicey

For a while now, I have tried to live by the motto: What mama wants, mama gets. After all, my mom is 90. She has terminal cancer. Her husband died a year ago. Surely, if anyone has the right to do whatever they want, Mom does.

She's done some foolhardy things that turned out badly, like having her sister with alzheimers and a brain tumor come for a two week visit last year. She's done some foolhardy things that turned out great, like her cross-country road trip with my crazy brother this year. She's done some things that are very nice, but make me shake my head, like having Perry completely re-do the house. She's done some things that are kind of weird, but don't really harm anyone, like having me use my things to decorate her house.

Now, in the past week, Mom has determined to do two things that really seem out of line. They are things that could harm lifelong relationships. They are things that could leave a legacy of hurt for people that Mom loves. I really don't want to tell Mom what to do. But I really don't want her last words to these people to be words that feel like cursing and bring separation.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Praying for you all and asking the Lord to intervene in a powerful way to preserve relationships and minimize fallout! Love you!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. not very easy indeed. Maybe you can use the I-Language: I AM afraid of...., I AM worried about ..if .
    It's not very easy, but you can tell your concern without "harming " your Mom..
    With all my love
    Anne G

    ReplyDelete