Sunday, August 14, 2011

Color Story

My kitchen is red. Happy, warm, Ralph Lauren Chimayo Red. I heart red. Red is my favorite. I have a red kitchenaid. I have a red colander. I have red measuring cups. I have red plates. Did I mention that I like red? Sometimes I'll throw in an accent of a nice mustard yellow or an earthy brown, but red is the color that makes me smile.

So what's the problem?

My mom's kitchen, which will be my kitchen one day, has a mauve floor. Remember the 80's? Yup, that's the one. Dusty pink tile.

There it is. Mauve tile. Red walls. And never the twain shall meet.

I really didn't know what to do for the walls in Mom's kitchen, short of white or tan. But I wanted the kitchen to be a fun, happy place. We spend so much time in the kitchen; it essentially is the heart of our home. What to do, what to do.

Enter Shiner Ruby Redbird.


As a beverage, Ruby Redbird is sort of like a Fresca Beer. Not really my thing. But check out that label! Do you see it? Red, mustard, brown...all surrounded by a lovely border of blue. That's when inspiration struck and that's how we ended up with Sherwin Williams Cloudburst for the wall color in Mom's kitchen. It is fun and happy, doesn't fight with the pink floor, and will go great with my kitchen things.

I should probably write Shiner a thank you note.

1 comment:

  1. I love the kitchen! It is a stroke of genius. I was ready to have mom/Perry tear out the tile so you wouldn't have to look at the pink, but with the wall color you chose, it worked a miracle! Love the yellow and red accents, and then to have mom and dad's wedding dishes be the perfect accent--well that's just the mystery of life!

    ReplyDelete