Sunday, July 3, 2011

Trouble with a Capital T

I'm going to be in trouble when my mom finds out what I've been doing. I've been planning. Scheming. And involving Mom's friends. Last night at dinner, Dave, Nate, Ev and I brainstormed a list of people who would be willing to pop in to visit Mom while we are out of town. I printed a calendar and circled the dates we will be gone. This morning I carried the list and the calendar around and began the subterfuge.

I asked people if they would like to sign up for a date to visit Mom.

I specified going by before noon or after 3:00. I said the visit did not need to be long. I warned against calling ahead, because Mom would say not to come. I suggested saying something like, "I'm running by HEB. Can I get you anything? Or would you like to come along?"

A friend who is a nurse offered to tend to Mom until we can get back, if she suddenly needs care. We asked another friend to be the Hurricane Evacuation Chief, no hunkering down option.

And I swore everyone to secrecy.

Of course Mom will figure things out sooner or later. And then there will be trouble. With a capital T. I'll just have to deal with it, I guess, and so will Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Lightin' up and hoppin' on that Harley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can remind mom that I am available to come down when she wants me...

    ReplyDelete