Sunday, July 31, 2011

Anemone?

We hauled ourselves home in the wee hours of Friday morning.

Meg and I popped in to visit Mom Friday.

Meg, Ev, and I went over again Saturday. We took Mom the Bible my cousins had given me from my Aunt Helen's estate. It was one of my Grandma's, Mom's dear Mama. It says "Minna M." on the front and I thought Mom would enjoy seeing it. She loves it! It is large print, so Mom carried it to church with her this morning. Mom said she had been debating purchasing a large print Bible or just carrying her magnifying glass in her bag. Now she can carry "Mama's".

Today, Mom had us over for Sunday dinner. (Nate asked, "Why do we call Sunday lunch 'dinner', but every other day it is lunch?" Good question, I don't know why, but it's dinner.) We had a lovely meal of brisket, pecos canteloupe, salad, homemade baguette, and rosemary roasted potatoes. Mom relied heavily on her right-hand-man/roomie Karis for serving and clearing. Mom was eager to hear about our travels and enjoyed seeing our pictures on Dave's computer. And she shared her pictures of our family trip to Yellowstone when I was 5 or 6. Very fun!

I showed Mom the framed pictures that my cousins had given us. One of them was an artist's rendering of the three sisters: Minna, Lucy, and Bertha. Mom was explaining that Bertha had died in childbirth. Then she looked at me and said, "You know Anemone? She was one of Bertha's children." I must have looked puzzled, because she said again, "You know, Anemone." After a pause, Mom said, "Not Anemone! Penny."

Okay. Penny is some sort of cousin who lives here in Texas. She is definitely not old enough to be a child of Bertha's, maybe a grandchild. There was some big sort of glitch going on there today. Mixing generations is foggy enough, but Anemone? That one really gave me pause.

4 comments:

  1. There really is a relative named Anemone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??? Seriously? Are you making that up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bertha (1882-1918), Anna-Barbara's oldest child got wed with Bruce Clark. They got Fred, Bertha, George, Ruth. Fred, was Alta Vista State Bank's director, collector of old cars, got married with Anemone. They had John, Alan, Liza and Penny. Alan has a body shop at McDowell Rd crossroad just after Manahattan KS.
    Anemome was very good in quilting, but she had sight trouble. So you know yet Anemone. Your Mom may have some pictures. If not, I have some, not very good maybe.
    Anne G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I need to pay closer attention to family history. Thank you, Anne. I feel much better now. Kind of like when Dad told me some guy from work long ago came to visit him at rehab and I thought he was hallucinating, but the guy really did come.

    ReplyDelete