Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day Rant

I've been telling the kids for a couple of weeks now that we will put something on Grandpa's grave in honor of his service to our country on Veteran's Day. I thought we would pop into a craft store and pick up a little wreath or arrangement that would be appropriate. Shows you what I know.

Last night I had some extra time in town in between responsibilities, so I made my first stop: Hobby Lobby. Bastion of God and Country. Um, no. I could have some Halloween stuff for clearance, Thanksgiving stuff for half off, or aisles and aisles of Christmas stuff. But nothing, not even a little flag on a wooden stick, for Veteran's Day.

Time for Stop Number Two: Michaels. Having learned my lesson at HL, I asked for help the minute I walked in the door. The clerk said they didn't have anything made up for Veteran's Day, but pointed to a patriotic wreath on the wall. It had some painted cutesy country character in the center. "Uh, it's to lay on my Dad's grave." Cricket, cricket. Seriously, the lady didn't say another word to me! I started picking out flowers to make my own wreath, but then reminded myself of what a craft dork I am and put them all back.

So I thought of my local Kroger store, which usually has seasonal floral arrangements. Surely they will have some little patriotic-looking thing? Stop Number Three and ... no.

A friend had suggested Walmart. I had initially rejected that suggestion because it would mean, well, going to Walmart. But I was getting desperate and Walmart is supposed to be very God and Country, so I gave it a try. Stop Number Four. And no. Nothing.

What is the dang deal? Are we just skipping Veteran's Day this year? Is honoring our soldiers not profitable enough anymore? If I was crafty at all, I would be making wreaths with red poppies by the dozens and giving them out free in front of Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Kroger and Walmart. It makes me want to buy an armload of red poppies and pin them on any and all servicemen and women I can find. Shame on those stores for skipping such an important day! Shame on us for letting them do it.

And endless thanks to the brave men and women who serve our country. They are our heroes.

4 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) I hope you find something! That is the one major problem I have with moving outwest...I left mom's grave in NC with not a soul around to tend it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks to the brave men and women who serve our country! We have little flags on sticks. get some this July 4 and have them for next vets day! or we can mail some down for next week. We are always late anyway, and dad wont mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They (veterans) are always selling little red poppies at the local grocery store on Veterans Day so I will go and buy some tomorrow. Maybe an armload so we can be un-crafty together. I got that gene, too. (can't make stuff--looks like kindergarten drop-out, etc.) We also have lots of little flags around on Memorial Day, so I will even dumpster dive the cemetery bins when they get rid of grave decorations, so we can make Dad something. Sure he would like us being frugal and patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ideas Gayle. and happy vets day to Joel!

    ReplyDelete