Thursday, December 3, 2009

Twisting in the Wind

Contrary to plan, I called Mom again tonight because I couldn't remember the name of a recipe she wanted me to look up on the internet. Dad answered the phone and we exchanged greetings.

Dad: "When are you bringing the children over to visit again? I miss seeing them."

Gwen: "Mom asked Nate and Ev to come over next week to decorate, so we will see you then."

Dad: "I miss seeing them. I miss seeing you too, but I especially like to see the children."

Gwen: "Thank you Dad! That is so nice to hear. We gladly come whenever we are invited. We miss seeing you too."

When Mom got on the phone and answered my recipe question, I told her what Dad said and asked her if Dad knew she had told us not to come over for Thanksgiving.

Mom: "I don't like the way it sounds when you say that."

Gwen: "How could I say it to make it sound nicer?"

Mom: "We wanted you to get out of town."

Gwen: "We wanted to spend Thanksgiving with you all. I expressed that to you during that same conversation. Each of the children wanted to spend Thanksgiving with you all. Ev had her class praying that we could spend the day with you. I told you that."

Mom: "All I can say is, you are so far ahead of me in being gracious. I appreciate your help filling the pillboxes. Can you come Monday to do that?"

Gwen: "I'd be glad to. I just don't want Dad thinking we don't want to come see him when you tell us to stay away."

What? What do I do when the caregiver says Stay Away and the caregivee says Where Have You Been?

I don't even know how to spell the sound my heart makes for this one.

POSTSCRIPT: Dave's perspective on this was much less emotional than mine. He thinks that Dad did miss the children at that moment, but that this doesn't mean he sits around pining for them and wondering why they don't come. I like that version. Easier on the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment