Thursday, December 17, 2009

Goal-Oriented Phone Conversation

Mom called this morning. I didn't have a student, so Nate and I were at home. It was one of those Mom calls where I could tell she had her list. I think it was something like this:

1. Tell Gwen I forgot about Karis and Meg's Christmas concert. Express regret.

2. Ask about amounts for Christmas recipes. Is five pounds of potatoes enough?

3. Invite family for Sunday dinner. Ask Gwen to bring brownies.

What a nice surprise to get a dinner invitation!

ADDENDUM: Mom called again Friday about something else. In the course of the conversation, it came out that the dinner invitation was for the Sunday after Christmas, not this Sunday. Communication is hard. If we can't get a dinner date straight, no wonder we struggle to understand each other.

3 comments:

  1. yes, communication is difficult! isnt it 'interesting' how God has designed life so that there really is never a time for 'coasting' very long? always something to learn and study and be interested in. I really like leaf by Neagle sp? for what it says about this. and serving others and returning good for good and for not so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a book? Could you give me more info? I couldn't find it on Amazon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tolkien reader is the book. leaf by neagle is a short story in it. really perceptive.

    ReplyDelete