Friday, January 6, 2012

State of the Union

Tuesday morning, I stopped by Mom's. I had made a stupid mistake with her check writing Saturday night and needed to see what I could do to rectify the situation. It was Ev's first day back to school, and my first day back to work. I went over to the house midmorning and woke Mom from a nap in the recliner. She was very sleepy and very slow. Mom told me she had taken herself off the little pill that helps her sleep, because it "affected her balance." I asked her if she didn't think her balance was shaky before, but she didn't remember. The laundry room was filled with about a dozen bags full of bathroom trash and the accompanying scent. I took out the trash, fed the kitty, made a couple of phone calls about the checks, then went on my way with a heavy heart. I do not like this arrangement.

Mom told me she was ready to have her Christmas decorations taken down, so Wednesday morning Meg and I went over after dropping Ev at school and Nate at educational therapy. While Meg efficiently stowed away the holiday cheer, I asked Mom if she would mind if I did some cleaning. She replied, "I'm against it." Then she said I could. I went to work on her bathroom and tossed a load of towels in the wash. Meg and I both dusted. Mom went to nap in her bed. I did some kid shuffling, and came back with Nate. He blew off the drive, walk, and back patio, and I vacuumed inside. I'm so thankful Mom let us help.

While I was cleaning the bathroom, I saw Mom was down to her last roll of paper towels (which she uses as personal wipes) and her last box of pads (which she uses in lieu of adult diapers). I peeked in her fridge and saw it was pretty bare. I asked if we could get her anything, and she said no, because Karis would be home the next day and could take her to the bank. Now, I'm really trying to stay out of Mom's business and let her handle everyday life. But, really? Run out of food and supplies, imagining that a returning 18yo will take care of it? No.

So, after work and school, Ev and I went to Walmart and Sam's for food and supplies for Mom. And, happily, the gamble paid off. I felt much better knowing Mom had what she needed, and Mom was delighted to have food and supplies magically appear at her house. She called me a "wild woman."

I'll take that as a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment