Friday, January 6, 2012

More of the Story

This morning my sister Gayle called. She had just spoken with Mom, and Mom had confessed that although she was up and dressed, she had no appetite and no energy. She had not eaten anything all morning and was just sitting in her chair. She told Gayle she thought it was time to start being honest with her children about how she was really doing.

Mom called while I was on the phone with Gayle and left me a message. I called her back and she told me she had no interest in food. No mention of the lack of energy. I guess the honesty phase was short-lived. I asked her if she wanted to have someone there and she said no, she felt comfortable being alone.

Shortly after noon, Mom called back to say she felt unsure about being alone. She asked if I could come. Of course, I can come! I was getting ready to tell her I would come after taking Meg to register for dual credit spring semester classes, when Mom wrapped up by saying she was sitting on her bed and she would stay there until I came. What? How did we get from "Everything's fine" to "I'll wait here in my bed until you come?"

I quickly jettisoned all previous plans and packed a bag. Meg texted Karis, and Karis texted me.

Karis: Gma's been up all day til now so that's weird...do you want me to go sit with her?

Gwen: Up to you. I don't think she's dying right this minute. I think she just used up the last little bit of strength and independence and is ready for me to be there again. She hasn't eaten so probably weak and light-headed too.

I talked with a friend on my way, and she went by Panera for some quarts of soup to bring by Mom's house. When I got to Mom's, she was sitting in the red chair. She had slept in bed, then moved out to her chair. My friend came with the soup, but Mom didn't want to eat. She did finally drink a cup of tomato juice around 2:30. I heard back from the hospice nurse at 3:00. She said it would be good to get Mom to drink some Ensure.

Right. As if.

I told Mom what the nurse said, and Mom replied, "I think I would rather try some potato soup from Panera." That's my mom! So she had 1/2 a cup. And loved it. Then at 6:00 she had 1/2 a cup more. (Yes, I'm measuring. I'm really not that anal-retentive. I just want to keep track of Mom's intake.)

After Mom ate some soup this afternoon, she started to feel better. Before, she had told me how glad she was I had come and that she had been anxious earlier. With me here,she said, she was relaxing. As she started feeling better, Mom began feeling foolish for calling me. She felt like it was a false alarm. I assured her that I was happy to come. Karis told her my bags were probably already packed, just waiting for her call. We laughed that as soon as Grandma hung up the phone, I was knocking on the door. But, I digress. I did suggest to Mom that maybe she was feeling better because she needed a little help, and now was getting a little help!

I asked Mom if she would let me stay until Gayle comes Sunday night. She agreed.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! Thank God for small blessings. Now, as for the anal retentiveness...let's just say, everyone is a bit more relaxed here while you're gone. Just kidding. ;)

    ReplyDelete